With regard to my artist block, I want to thank Deborah Secor for sharing her 30 years of insight as a professional artist and how she feels as a Christian artist. I also want to thank Mary (Flycatcher from Wetcanvas) for sending me the link to “Letter of His Holiness Pope John Paul II to Artists 1999.” The Pope urged Christian artists to tap into the very rich Gospel for inspiration.
Here are a few more resources that are worth reading.
- Leanne Benfield Martin has a blog called Christians in the Arts and she interviewed authors and wrote book reviews.
- Philip G. Ryken has written a book called Art for God’s Sake and here is an article he penned regarding the subject.
- Francis Schaeffer has written a 64 page book called Art and The Bible and from the comments at the online store site, you could get a flavor of his perspective. See especially comments on page 2.
Added Sept 5, 2013: Thank you to Deborah for two more references on art and Christianity:
- The works and words of Makoto Fujimura
- For Glory and For Beauty by Kirk Richards and Stephen Gjertson